Brief History of Queen of Peace Church, Hoyt Lakes, MN
The Catholic people of Hoyt Lakes were gathered together into a new parish on August 10, 1955. The founding families met in Robinson’s Cafeteria for several months and then met in the Community Building. The current church building was built in 1958-59. The first Mass was held on Christmas Eve 1958. Queen of Peace Church was dedicated by Bishop Lawrence Glenn on May 17, 1959. Religious education was initially conducted in parishioners’ basements until a house (at 217 Guilford) was purchased for that purpose.
In 1980 stained glass windows were installed and renovations were made to the hall and kitchen. The elevator was installed in 1992. During a major remodeling of the church (1993-2005), the community suffered a major economic loss when LTV Mine closed in 2000. The remodeling took longer to complete but was done in time to celebrate the 50th anniversary in 2005.
In February-September 2015 we, merged with Holy Rosary, Aurora and St. John’s, Biwabik to form Our Lady of Hope Parish. We are all members of the same parish, with one set of trustees, one Finance Council and one Pastoral Council.
Pastors (*and associated) who have served Queen of Peace Catholic Church:
|Tomas Stack||1955-64 and 1983-1987|
|Peter S. Lambert||2016-|